Monday, March 31, 2014

Prom Makeup!

It's prom season and I wanted to provide some inspiration for a makeup look you could do yourself for prom! I wanted to create a look that was universally flattering on every skin tone, eye color, and eye shape. This makeup look is dramatic but super easy to do and you can definitely recreate it! If you are planning to do your own makeup for prom, I definitely recommend practicing it a few times before the big day so that everything goes smoothly the day of your prom! Even if you don't have a prom to go to, this would be a gorgeous look for a night out with your girls or any type of special event!




Face Products

For the sake of this post not being forever long, I'm going to quickly go over the face products I used and then get into a little more detail for the eyes!

1. Primer: I applied my all-time favorite primer, the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer. I definitely recommend using a primer for prom. It will make your foundation last all night long.
2. Foundation: I buffed the DiorSkin AirFlash Foundation all over my face with a flat top kabuki brush. If I'm going to any special event or on a night out, this is the foundation I want on my face. It makes my skin look flawless but it is so incredibly natural looking. It is also super lightweight. Definitely choose a foundation without SPF in it. This will prevent your face from having a white cast in photos. Some good alternatives for foundation would be the Make Up For Ever HD foundation.
3. Under Eye Concealer: To cover up my dark under eye circles, I used my favorite Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser.
4. Blemish Concealer: To conceal any breakouts or hyperpigmentation, I used the NYX HD Concealer. This is an amazing concealer and it's only $4.99 at the drugstore! I highly, highly recommend it!
5. Setting Powder: To set my face, I used the Hourglass Ambient Lighting powder in "Diffused Light". This adds a gorgeous natural glow all over the face. If you have oilier skin, I would definitely recommend you choose a more mattifying face powder to set your makeup. The Rimmel Stay Matte Powder is an excellent affordable option!

Cheek Products

1. Bronzer: To contour the face and bronze the cheeks, I used the NARS Laguna Bronzer. Contouring sculpts the face and add dimension. To contour, I place the bronzer in the hollows of my cheeks, on the sides on the forehead, and along the jawline. If you want a more in depth look at how to contour, this video should help you out: just click here.
2. Blush: For blush, I wanted to choose something on the affordable side that would look good on any skin tone. This Wet n' Wild Blush in "Pearlescent Pink" is gorgeous and is very comparable to NARS Orgasm blush. It adds color back in to the face and gives a natural flush to the cheeks.
3. Highlighter: Highlighting the face adds even more dimension and glow. The Dior Amber Diamond highlighter is the most gorgeous highlighter I have even used. I apply this to the tops of my cheekbones, the bridge of my nose, and on the cupid's bow. If you want a more affordable option, check out Physician's Formula at the drugstore. They have several gorgeous highlighters that you can choose from!


Eyeshadow
The very fist thing I did was apply this NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in "Milk" over the entire eye... on the lid, in the crease, and up on to the brow bone. This will provide and even base for eyeshadow and will allow everything to blend better. It also makes all the shadows you lay over top come off much more vibrant and pigmented.


For the eyeshadow, I chose to use the Naked 3 palette. These are amazing, high-quality eyeshadows and everything you need for this look is in this one palette. 

1. Strange: I took this white matte shadow and applied it all over the eye to set that NYX jumbo pencil. The NYX jumbo pencil can tend to crease but if you set it, it will stay in place! If you are worried about creasing, you can even add a eyeshadow primer before you apply the NYX pencil.
2. Limit: Next, I buffed this light brown matte shade all throughout the crease. This is your "transition" shade. It makes the darker colors we're going to apply after blend out some much easier and it gives that nice gradient effect to the eyeshadow look. Take you time and really blend this shade out all throughout the crease and slightly above the crease from outer corner to inner corner.
3. Trick: This is one of my favorite shades in the palette. It is a super pigmented rosy gold shade. I applied this shadow on to my eyelid with my finger for the most pigmentation. I also applied this shade on the very inner corner of the eye and down on the inner 1/3 of my lower lash line.
4. Nooner: I took a deeper matte brown shade and applied this more precisely into the crease, again from inner corner to outer corner. This adds more depth to the look. I also took this shade and blended on the lower lash line.
5. Darkside: I used the dark satin grey shade and placed in the outer corner of my eye. I then took a big fluffy crease brush and really blended everything out. The key to any eyeshadow look is lots and lots of blending. I also took this shadow onto the lower lash line, focusing it on the outer 1/3.





Liner, Brows, and Mascara
1. I applied my all-time favorite Maybelline Gel Liner in "Blackest Black" to my upper lash line and winged it out.
2. I filled in my brows using the Anastasia Beverly Hills Perfect Brow Pencil in "Soft Brown".
3. I applied one coat of the CoverGirl Clump Crusher Mascara to my upper and lower lashes.
4. I applied a coat of the YSL Babydoll Mascara to my upper and lower lashes.




Lips

I adore a soft pink lip, so for this look, I chose MAC Creme Cup and topped that off with Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss in "Super Natural". You could really choose any lip color you want with this look though and it would look gorgeous!

 

I hope you love this look just as much as I do. Hopefully it gave you some inspiration for a look that you can rock at your own prom!

And just for fun, here's a photo from my Senior Prom a few years ago...


 I hope you have an AH-mazing day and an even better prom!!

xoxo,
Paige

 




No comments:

Post a Comment